Words Change Our Lives by Shaping Indentity

I believe I did a good job of analyzing in this essay.  To analyze is to draw conclusions from evidence.  In this case the evidence came from essays in my English book.

     In the reading about Lucy Grealy titled Masks, Lucy talks about her pain of ugliness and how that pain was far worse than her cancer. Lucy said “the great tragedy of my life. The fact that I had cancer seemed minor in comparison” (Grealy 66). Her pain was inflicted with words about her ugliness which came from a group of boys.  Lucy realized those boys were passing judgment on her suitability as a girlfriend.  This really hurt Lucy.  The analytical part for me was the conclusion that the words the boys said to her changed or impacted who she became by changing her self identity.

     In times of adversity Latifahs’ mother used words to create this queen identity in her as a child. Her mom would talk how a queen never sells out and a queen will sacrifice quick money and material goods for the greater purpose of keeping her soul. Laying the foundation, her mother raised her daughter to become a self-proclaimed queen. Her mom always told her how smart, beautiful, and talented she was. Latifah formed a high self-esteem. Even if you do not have a mother, or grandmother, a tough aunt, or someone to create the queen in you, Latifah says you can still be a queen, and she proclaims it loudly with words.  In this essay reading I concluded that the words the mother used changed Latifahs’ identity and she became a queen inside and for the rest of her life. 

     Analysis worked in my essay paper to support the idea that words change our lives by shaping our identities.  This in turn has changed me by helping me become an analytical writer.

                                                        Work Cited
Latterell, Catherine. “Masks.” Remix Reading and Composing Culture.
     Grealy, Lucy. New York: Houghton, 1994. 66-71. Print.

Back

1 comment: