Communities Provide Stability

     In the assignment the essay was to be an answer to the following question.
As a result of your readings and interview, how can you argue for a specific function of communities in our lives?

     In order to accomplish my task I was to synthesize the following three sources of information, to gather data from them, to draw conclusions from them, to analyze the results, and to make my argument for a specific function of communities in our lives:
  1) selections from an ample reading list from our textbook Remix,
  2) observations about a specific kind of community that you are part of, and
  3) an interview with someone differently-aged than you.

     As a result of my readings I chose to build my case around the idea that Communities provide stability for its members.  I used the data from the readings, from my own community observations, and came up with questions for my interview with someone younger than me by more than 20 years and built my essay paper.

     In my original essay I did a good job with my works sited section, at the end of the essay, but I was week with the in-text cites.  In the following excerpt you will notice I didn’t use in-text cites with parenthesis after the quotes.

     Yes stability, from her community, that was what Judy Stegner needed since her life was terribly shaken.  Stegner recalled “Well, my Texas friends gradually dropped out of sight after my son was killed.  I mean, I don’t blame ’em.  They didn’t know what to say.  This kind of thing is hard for everybody.”  When we don’t know what to say or do it is better to try anything or we might loose members of our community.  Stegner continues “But my Barbie friends, you wouldn’t believe what they did.  They called or wrote to me every day.  They sent me money.  They sent care packages.  They helped raise thousands of dollars for a tuition assistance fund in Justin’s name.”

     The following paragraph shows in-text cites after being added.  Also notice the period goes after the parenthesis and the ending quote is placed before the beginning parenthesis.  Shari Caudron is cited as the author, with the page number, who interviewed Judy Stegner in this reading.

     Yes stability, from her community, that was what Judy Stegner needed since her life was terribly shaken.  Stegner recalled “Well, my Texas friends gradually dropped out of sight after my son was killed.  I mean, I don’t blame ’em.  They didn’t know what to say.  This kind of thing is hard for everybody(Shari Caudron 173).  When we don’t know what to say or do it is better to try anything or we might loose members of our community.  Stegner continues “But my Barbie friends, you wouldn’t believe what they did.  They called or wrote to me every day.  They sent me money.  They sent care packages.  They helped raise thousands of dollars for a tuition assistance fund in Justin’s name(Shari Caudron 173). 

I went through the essay and added the needed in text-cites.
Back

No comments: