Communities Provide Stability

     David Brooks says “Far from being dull, artificial, and spiritually vacuous, today’s suburbs are the products of the same religious longings and the same deep tensions that produced the American identity from the start” (185).  From this quote we can deduce that suburbs are the answer to religious longings and deep tensions of people today.  Furthermore these suburb communities provide stability in people’s lives.

     Yes stability, from her community, that was what Judy Stegner needed since her life was terribly shaken.  Stegner recalled “Well, my Texas friends gradually dropped out of sight after my son was killed.  I mean, I don’t blame ’em.  They didn’t know what to say.  This kind of thing is hard for everybody” (Shari Caudron 173).  When we don’t know what to say or do it is better to try anything or we might loose members of our community.  Stegner continues “But my Barbie friends, you wouldn’t believe what they did.  They called or wrote to me every day.  They sent me money.  They sent care packages.  They helped raise thousands of dollars for a tuition assistance fund in Justin’s name” (Shari Caudron 173).  Here for example the Barbie friends did whatever they could think of doing to help and they continued doing it.  “They also contacted Mattel.  Can you believe that?  They contacted Mattel, and the company sent me a special collectible Barbie and a handwritten note the first Christmas after Justin died.  My Barbie friends even had a special Angel Doll made for me” (Shari Caudron 173).  Judy pauses to raise her glasses and wipe away the tears.  Thanks to her Barbie friends continued support she began to believe in this community.  Stegner said “I’m so blessed.  This is the closest circle of friends I’ve ever had” (Shari Caudron 173).  What Stegner needed was close friends to show they were with her and they care.  Stegner showed Shari Caudron a quilt that was made by her friends and given to her.  Shari Caudron wrote “The quilt, made to honor her son’s life, features 18 hand-sewn panels created by her Internet Barbie friends in California, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Virginia, New York, and Australia” (173)  “That’s practically antique” said Stegner  (Shari Caudron 173).  This community of Barbie friends took care of Stegner, and therefore they provided the stability she could count on.

     In the interview with Ten G we talked about the stability in her current rental community, and her desire to count on neighbors for a long time to come.  Interviewing my own daughter Ten G, 24 years old with two children, was interesting and somewhat revealing.  When asked “What do you like about your neighborhood?”  G said “My neighbors are friendly, and you can borrow things like an egg when you need.  We help each other.  If I need a babysitter real quick I’ve got one” (G).  Clearly G is receiving some of the things she needs from her renting community.  When asked “What do you hope your neighbors will be like at your new home?”  G said “I hope my neighbors are friendly, easy to talk to, and have kids who can play with my kids” (G).  For example G needs other kids to play with her kids.  G needs friends to talk to.  These needs are very important to her stability in her new community.  Asking further “Does this home make you more stable in your life?”  G responded quickly “Yes, because we own our own home instead of renting” (G).  She was asked “How will you be more stable?”  G explained “I know they will be there for a long time, not like renters that come and go” (G)  Asking further “Why does that give stability?”  G paused and then said “I can get to know my neighbors and build long lasting relationships with them.  I can count on them for a long time to come” (G).  G is longing for lasting relationships and needs this from her community to have stability in her life.

     Stability comes from communities that meet each others needs.  In my small local community, at the foot of the mountains, the snow line frosts the top of the trees which gives me a feeling of peace that my heart needs.  Serving others when they need something is how my community functions.  For instance hard work on church building projects, or painting projects at the boys and girls club has met some of our community needs.  Likewise directing week long youth camping trips, playing guitar at Sunday night youth group meetings, has helped to fill needs for our own children and local youth.  In the past winter storms pushed over trees and knocked put electrical power.  Some people who lost electricity for a night or two needed a place to stay to have heat and food for their family.   Locally there are plenty of opportunities to help meet the needs of people both personally and as a community.  Therefore in this way my community provides stability for one another.

     Yes each of these communities provides stability for their people.  Like Ten G said “Neighbors are friendly, and you can borrow things like an egg when you need.”   Like David Brooks said “…today’s suburbs are the products of the same religious longings and the same deep tensions that produced the American identity from the start” (185).  And like Judy Stegner said “I’m so blessed.  This is the closest circle of friends I’ve ever had” (Shari Caudron 173).  They are all saying their communities provide stability, and that stability makes a wonderful difference in people’s lives.

                                                        Works Cited
Brooks, David. "Our Sprawling, Supersize Utopia." Remix Reading and Composing Culture.
     Catherine G. Latterell. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's, 2010. 185, 189. Print.
Caudron, Shari. "Befriending Barbie." Remix Reading and Composing Culture.
     Catherine G. Latterell. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's, 2010. 173. Print.
G, Ten. Telephone Interview. 24 Apr. 2011. 

No comments: