Cultural Tradition Breaking Up and Text Messages

     I believe this essay does a good job of speaking out to an audience with a voice saying something everyone can relate to.  In the introduction I used a reference to a song that really sings it out and grabs the reader’s attention. 

     Looking back I can hear the music in my head “Breaking up is hard to do”.  It was a popular hit song recorded in 1962 by Neil Sedaka.  Although breaking up has never been easy it has become easier and less personal for many.  In the past breaking up was done in person, face to face, whereas today new technology has enabled people to break up in non-personal ways, such as text messaging.

     In this essay I was to show the impact text messaging has had on a cultural tradition of breaking up in person.  In my research I found a short writing about the suggested steps to breaking up, and the importance of the traditional ways of breaking up with a person face-to-face.  I learned some of the benefits face-to-face breaking up has to offer as well.  For example if both people are there then each person has the chance to ask questions which can help to gain closure.  Questions about why the relationship did not work can also help to illuminate what can be improved upon in their future relationships. 

No comments: